ANNOUNCING BAMFORD-LAHEY SCHOLARS FOR 2003-4

Peg Lahey plahey at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 17 19:06:49 UTC 2003

 BAMFORD-LAHEY SCHOLARS FOR 2003-2004
The Bamford-Lahey Children's Foundation was established for the purpose of conducting and supporting programs that will enhance the linguistic, cognitive, social, and emotional development of children.  Its current focus is on developmental language disorders of children. There is concern about a shortage of doctoral level professionals interested in pursuing careers in research and in teaching future Speech-Language Pathologists. One of the Foundation's objectives is to increase the number of doctoral level professionals who will educate future clinicians and who, through research, will contribute to our understanding of developmental language disorders.  To accomplish this objective, the Foundation developed a scholarship program offering funds of up to $10,000 a year to students who have been accepted into a doctoral program and who intend to specialize in children's language disorders.

We are very proud to announce the Bamford-Lahey Scholars for 2003-2004.  Based on review of applications by independent professionals in the field, six applicants were selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants.  A picture of each along with a short biography is available on our website at http://bamford-lahey.org/scholars.html.  The winners, presented alphabetically, are:

Maria Breah-Spahn,  University of South Florida

Lisa Hammett, University of Georgia

Kimberly Keller, Florida State University

Amanda Owen, Purdue University

Cynthia Puranik, University of Florida

Heather Rusiewicz, University of Pittsburgh.

 More information about these scholarships is available on our website http://www.bamford-lahey.org/scholarships.html. Applications for 2004 scholarships as well as any changes in the program will be on our website by January of 2004.  Completed applications for next year's awards will be due April 1, 2004.