Job posting

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:46:37 UTC 2003

The Department of Psychology at the UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA invites
applications for two new appointments of full-time, tenure-track, assistant
professors with service to begin as early as August 7, 2004. Applicants
should send statements describing their research program and their teaching
interests, a CV, and up to five reprints and preprints. Three letters of
recommendation should be sent directly to the chair of the search committee
at the address below. Applicants should show evidence of outstanding
research and teaching potential. Each of the successful applicants will be
expected to establish an independent program of research that can garner
extramural support, to supervise and mentor graduate students, to teach
graduate and undergraduate classes, and to participate in departmental
governance. Applicants must have the Ph.D. degree by the time of the
appointment. Post-doctoral experience is highly desirable. We have a strong
preference for applicants whose research bridges subdisciplines of
Psychology.

We are seeking truly outstanding psychologists whose program of research
focuses on ANY area of psychology and who are conducting empirical,
theory-driven research with humans. The domain of the search ranges across
the spectrum of psychological science. The department has particular needs
in some areas (such as, but not limited to, Social, Developmental, and
Cognitive). We have a special interest in a Cognitive Neuroscientist who
employs neuroimaging. We would consider candidates who utilize any form of
neuroimaging, including electrophysiological, optical or radiological
neuroimaging. These preferences notwithstanding, our intent is to allow the
quality of the candidates to determine the directions of our growth.

 The University of South Florida is a metropolitan-based,
Carnegie-designated Doctoral/Research-Extensive university enrolling more
than 40,000 students. The department of Psychology
(http://www.cas.usf.edu/psychology/content/index.htm
<http://www.cas.usf.edu/psychology/content/index.htm> ) has 33 faculty
members. The Department is housed in a new building that provides ample
space and facilities for research as well as a large, vibrant, psychological
services center. The Psychology Building is located in close proximity to
the Health Sciences complex on the USF campus, reflecting the strong
relationship we maintain with such units as the Moffitt Cancer Center and
Research Institute, The Florida Mental Health Institute and the Colleges of
Medicine and Public Health. The University is planning to establish a major,
state-funded, Center for the study of Alzheimer Disease. Facilities for
radiological neuroimaging are available on campus. There are excellent
facilities for electrophysiological neuroimaging in the department. For
those interested in developmental processes, there are three
NAEYC-accredited day care facilities on campus as well as two laboratory
elementary schools.

 The salary is negotiable. Send materials to: Prof. William Sacco, Chair,
Psychology Search Committee, Department of Psychology, University of South
Florida, 4202 E. Fowler., PCD 4118G, Tampa, Florida, 33620-7200. The
University of South Florida encourages applications from women and members
of minority groups. The selection process will be conducted under the
provisions of Florida’s “Government in the Sunshine” and Public Records
Laws. Anyone requiring special accommodations to complete an application
should contact Sonya Espinosa (813-974-2438).  A review of the applications
will begin on 12/15/03. In order to receive full consideration by the search
committee your application must be received by this date. Applications
received after this date will be reviewed and advanced, in cases of
compelling merit, up to the conclusion of the search process.