What is "normal" in bilingual children?

Annick De Houwer vhouwer at uia.ac.be
Tue Sep 30 13:19:30 UTC 2003

Hi Marita---

The problem you raise is really a very big one. It requires a very complex
answer, but I will here, at the great danger of oversimplifying things, just
write a few things that can perhaps help.
As Barbara Pearson and others have shown, you can't really judge a bilingual
child's knowledge on the basis of just one language (let alone, a CDI i one
language). By definition, a bilingual child knows a lot more than just one
language. But the problem is: there are no norms available that can easily
and reliably used for bilingual children. In the mean time: what to do?? My
own experience as a researcher in child bilingualism leads me to say that
one should get as much information from all the people in the child's
environment - from all the normal 'carriers' of each of the child's
languages, and hear what they have to say. If a child is functioning well in
all the languages he/she is exposed to, according to the people who know the
child, there is no cause for undue concern. If the child does OK in one
language, and not so well in the other, the child most likely has fewer
opportunities to learn/use the weaker language, and more intense input might
be a good 'remedy'. (It is quite normal for young bilingual children to know
each of their languages to different extents.) A real problem exists if the
child does not function well in any language. Then professional help is
called for - and more input in all the child's languages.
I'm sure that other colleagues will also attempt to respond. In the mean
time, I hope the above can be of some help.

Best regards,

Annick De Houwer

****************
Annick De Houwer, PhD
Director, Research group Language, Communication and Socialization

Dept. of Communication
Campus Drie Eiken
University of Antwerp
Universiteitsplein 1