What is "normal" in bilingual children?

Barbara Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Tue Sep 30 14:43:54 UTC 2003

Dear Infochildes,

I am sure to be leaving someone out, but...

I can only add that the people I know who are dealing with
bilingualism in Communication Disorders are the team
headed by Aquiles Iglesias at Temple.  They have a contract
from NIH to make a language test for 4 to 6 year old bilinguals (like
the one we have here at UMass for African Americans).

The other principals are Liz Pena at UTexas, and Vera Gutierrez-
Clellen at San Diego State.  (Vera also works a lot with Adelaida
Restrepo at Georgia, who has also been vocal in the field.)

The NIH test is nearing completion.  I'm not sure whether it uses the
"strongest language"  or the "combined strengths" approaches that we
have
seen referred to this morning--or maybe both in different parts of
the test.

Perhaps one of the people on that project will weigh in on Marita's
question.

It's a thorny issue.
Till soon,
Barbara