Fwd: Re: What is "normal" in bilingual children?

Vera F. Gutierrez-Clellen vclellen at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Sep 30 17:22:24 UTC 2003

When we looked at the grammatical development of Spanish-English
bilingual children (ages 4 to 6) in their strongest language we found
that it is not different from monolinguals of that language.
Because there are no standardized measures to determine the strongest
language, we use a measure of grammaticality based on spontaneous
language samples in each language.  The same approach could be
applied to assess relative acquisition of three or more languages.
Vera

--
Vera F. Gutierrez-Clellen, Ph.D.
Professor

Office  (619) 594-6645
Bilingual Child Language Research Laboratory (619) 594-2279
FAX: (619) 594-7109