CDI construction - what to put in

Leslie Nabors naborsle at gse.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 6 19:56:39 UTC 2004

Hi Katie,

Since I am just now completing the Hungarian adaptation of the CDI (toddler form), I believe I can
speak to the first part of your question. Hungarian is a morphologically rich language, so, as you
said, looking at an English-language CDI will get you only so far...

I began with the original MacArthur CDI, however, noting that not all of the English closed-class
words are there either (e.g., "whom", "ourselves"). I then looked at natural language samples
(mostly MacWhinney's) to see what kids in that range might be saying. Hungarian is also lucky to
have a really well-structured and detailed diary study from the 19th century, and I looked at that
too. I then took my draft copy and met with focus groups of parents, a school psychologist, and
nursery school teachers (in Hungary) before I made the final version.

I don't know how much this helps, but I believe it worked well for my project. I'm now beginning
work on the infant form with a group of Hungarian researchers, and we will definitely conduct the
focus groups again -- they were incredibly helpful.

Best of luck,

Leslie Nabors Olah