dyslexia

Mark S. Seidenberg seidenberg at wisc.edu
Mon Apr 12 14:40:57 UTC 2004

There are several papers on dyslexia downloadable from our lab web
site, URL given below.

Harm & Seidenberg (1999) summarize a lot of behavioral research and
present a computational model of two types of dyslexia.

Harm, McCandliss and Seidenberg (2003) use the above model to explain
why some common interventions for dyslexia are effective and others are
not.

Rayner, Foorman, Perfetti, Pesetsky & Seidenberg (2001) is a short
monograph about reading, dyslexia, and instruction that was
commissioned by the American Psychological Society.

Rayner et al. (2002) is a more accessible Scientific American article
emphasizing instructional issues (some instructional practices create
what I call "instructional dyslexics").

Dyslexia research is quite up in the air right now, in my opinion, with
rather clear evidence about the kinds of deficits that dyslexics
exhibit but little consensus about etiology (i.e., proximal causes).

Mark S. Seidenberg
Donald O. Hebb Professor of Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience

*** Note Succinct New Email Address ***

seidenberg at wisc.edu

Department of Psychology
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1202 W. Johnson St.
Madison, WI 53706

phone: 608-263-2553
fax: 608-262-4029
Language and Cognitive Neuroscience Lab:
http://lcnl.wisc.edu