question re: kwal with action lines, kwal with postcode

Diane Pesco dpesco2 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 20 16:58:10 UTC 2004

Hi folks,
Sorry for asking so many questions lately!  I always check the manual
first and try a hundred commands before I appeal to you as a last resort.

1.  kwal and action lines

I am trying to remove one dependent tier from my transcripts.  The
transcripts have the usual speaker tiers with utterances, including some
www, xxx, and yyy.   They also sometimes only have an action marker and
no speech on the speaker line:
*MAR:    0 [=! rolls car].

These 0 lines sometimes also have a dependent tier:
*MAR:    0 [=! rolls car].
%exp:      car goes off in unintended direction

When I run the following kwal to remove a particular dependent tier, the
0 lines that have no dependent tier (ex.1)
are removed from the transcript.  Variations (adding +t*, adding +s"$*"
to the %cfa,. etc.) do not work nor does replacing kwal with combo.  Any
solutions?

kwal +d +o@ +t% -t%cfa filename (see beneath my signature below for sample input/output)

2. How can I filter out ONLY utterances with particular postcodes on main tier ALONG with attached dependent tiers?  The following command yields all the utterances I want but excludes the dependent tiers in the output and gives only main tier: kwal +d +o@ +s"[+ errinc]" filename

If I add +t% or +t%cfd (a single desired dependent tier) to the command, I get all utterances with dependent tier, not only the ones with the postcode.  I cannot find a way to get combo to do it nor does a series of kwals (pipeouts) seem to work.

Thank you once again for any help you might provide.

Diane Pesco
McGill University
School of Communication Sciences & Disorders

email	dpesco2 at po-box.mcgill.ca
phone	514-398-4102

input for question 1:
@Begin