gem diaries

Sarita Eisenberg eisenbergs at mail.montclair.edu
Tue Aug 3 21:34:23 UTC 2004

I think this is a wonderful idea and can trigger studies as well as
answer the question about whether some error ever occurs.  However, I'm
not sure about creating CHAT files for these examples.
for instance, when my son was 2 years old he produced the utterance "I
need to carry me" and help up his arms for me to pick him up and carry
him down the stairs.  I was delighted because I had already hypothesized
that children would produce this type of error on infinitives and was
busy developing an elicited production task to check for this as part of
my dissertation research.
Unfortunately, my son also objected to my keeping notes on his talking
and would take my pencil away and vociferously say "NO!" when I started
to write down his gems so I have very few.
Sarita Eisenberg