Gems

Dorit Ravid doritr at post.tau.ac.il
Wed Aug 4 20:49:55 UTC 2004

I support the idea of Gem diaries enthusiastically. I recorded my two older
kids and conducted "Gem" diaries for all three. It was my experience that
the moment you turned off the tape-recorder, the child would come up with
the best, most creative gem. That was when the diary came in. Some of the
examples I wrote down still intrigue me (e.g., a short period during which
word order seems to be in flux). Since most info-childes readers would not
be able to enjoy Hebrew examples such as 'ani yexole la-lexet im ha-regel'
(Itamar [boy] at 2;5), here is a gem from the same age that is less
language-specific:
Itamar: ima, ma ata kotevet?
           Mommy, what (are) you,Masc writing,Fm?
M:      ani kotevet ma'amar
          I (am) writing (a) paper.
Itamar: al tihyi kotevet ma'amar!
           Don't be writing (a) paper!

Dorit Ravid

===================
Professor Dorit Ravid
The Constantiner School of Education and the Department of Communications
Disorders
Tel Aviv University

Please send mail to:
Dorit Ravid