grammaticality judgments

Karin Stromswold karin at ruccs.rutgers.edu
Thu Dec 16 15:18:04 UTC 2004

I elicited children's grammaticality judgments for my dissertation
(Stromswold, 1990, Learnability and the acquisition of auxiliaries,
MIT.  Available through MITWPL), and my students and I have continued
to use the technique with moderate success with children as young as 3.

In our studies, we have a dog puppy that the children feed either a
bone (for grammatical sentences) or a rock (for ungrammatical
sentences).  The key to making sure that children are judging
grammaticality and not the meaning conveyed by the sentence is to make
sure that, during the course of the experiment, each child judges both
grammatical and ungrammatical versions of each sentence  (e.g., What
does Kermit eat?  and What Kermit eats?).   By doing this, any effects
of semantics is a wash when you do statistical analyses of your data.

Of course, one has to worry that the experimenter's delivery of the
ungrammatical sentences is less natural than the experimenter's
delivery of the grammatical sentences, and that children might be
judging this and not grammaticality per se.  We have dealt with this in
2 ways.  First, we have the experimenter practice saying the
ungrammatical sentences, and we record the experimental session and
check to make sure that the experimenter did a reasonable job.  A
second way we have attempted to deal with this is by using pre-recorded
sentences rather than 'live' sentences.  The problem with doing this is
that children don't pay as much attention when the sentences are not
presented live.

Good luck,

Karin Stromswold
Rutgers - New Brunswick