MLU counts

Yonata Levy msyonata at mscc.huji.ac.il
Wed Feb 18 16:13:21 UTC 2004

Dear Brian,
What you say is exactly what we have been trying to accomplish - there are
details that pertain to the language which guide one in the decision of
which morphemes should be counted - gender, root, case - however, the
ultimate goal of MLU is comparability both within a language and
cross-linguistically. To achieve that, or come close to it, one has to set
some ad hoc rules like the ones I suggested - never count a single lexical
item as longer than 2 or a single utterance as longer than 9. I am not sure
about the 9 though - it may be too high.
Why do you think that there might be a way to count MLU that will work for
diverse languages with rich morphologies? My understanding of comparative
grammar is that there is no such dividing line between syntax and
morphology. therefore a system should be constructed that will enable
comparative studies regardless of the typology of the language. So, here we
are again - we need to propose language specific+language general ways of
reducing the count to the levels which have been set mostly by developmental
studies of English . Alternatively, we may try to construct a generalized
scale that will be based on a sample of languages for the sake of cross
linguistic research.
Yonata

Prof. Yonata Levy
Psychology Department
The Hebrew University
Jerusalem, Israel 91905

Phone: 972-2-5883408 (o)      Fax:    972-2-5881159
            972-2-6424957 (h)      e-mail: msyonata at mscc.huji.ac.il