MLU counts

Yonata Levy msyonata at mscc.huji.ac.il
Wed Feb 18 18:11:33 UTC 2004

Hi Nina,
I think you are right in that a composite measure will require not just MLU
but other measures. This should begin to answer Phil's query too -
we use MLU as well as percent of sentences longer than 5 when we equate
children as per developmental stage. The latter is suppose to addressed the
problems that central measures usually have.
I think that the aim is to suggest measures that are theory-free and that
can be achieved independent of grammatical analysis. Would you consider
verbs per utterance such a measure?
Yonata.

Prof. Yonata Levy
Psychology Department
The Hebrew University
Jerusalem, Israel 91905

Phone: 972-2-5883408 (o)      Fax:    972-2-5881159
            972-2-6424957 (h)      e-mail: msyonata at mscc.huji.ac.il