Um and Uh in child speech

Kristen N. Asplin kna4+ at pitt.edu
Fri Jan 23 18:07:34 UTC 2004

A colleague recently asked me a question, that I had difficulty answering,
even after a bit of database search.  We are looking for some basic
references for the developmental course of pragmatic interjections or
hesitation markers.  For example, I've seen work on adults use of um and
uh, but not child English.  When does the ability to use these
interjections appear?  We are primarily interested in English, but can take
references in any language.

Thanks in advance for your help.  I will publish a list of responses.

Dr. Kristen N. Asplin
Faculty Office Building 131
1150 Mt. Pleasant Road
University of Pittsburgh