Call for Papers

Gagarina gagarina at zas.gwz-berlin.de
Wed Jul 7 16:49:38 UTC 2004

Call for Papers

Workshop: Frequency effects in language acquisition
(Frequenzeffekte im Spracherwerb)

DGfS-Jahrestagung (Annual meeting of the German linguistic society),
23-25 February 2005, Koeln University

Deadline for submissions: September 1, 2004

The effect of input frequency is a current issue in language acquisition
studies, and different positions are taken concerning how the input
frequency of a linguistic element is mirrored in children's language.
While some researchers argue for an effect of input frequency, others do
not. Differences also result from the various theoretical backgrounds
from which this topic is addressed. Some studies rely on the analysis of
naturalistic data, while other studies simulate language production. In
this workshop, we aim to bring together a variety of opinions and
stimulate a general discussion of (a) the role of input frequency in the
acquisition process and (b) the way in which contradictory results may be
integrated. We welcome contributions addressing questions related to this
topic: (a) does input frequency affect the order of acquisition of
linguistic elements? (b) how is input frequency mirrored in the speech of
the children? (c) in which way does input frequency interact with other
factors that increase the salience of linguistic elements? We especially
encourage presentations that involve the analysis of less studied
languages.

Abstracts should be up to 500 words in length and should be sent to Insa
Guelzow: guelzow at zas.gwz-berlin.de or Natalia Gagarina:
gagarina at zas.gwz-berlin.de

Presentations: about 15-20 minutes plus discussion
Workshop languages: German and English

A German description of the Workshop and general conference information is
accessible at www.dgfs.de/remarks/d1/rm116.pdf

We plan to publish a volume - ZAS Papers in Linguistics - with the accepted
contributions.