"risk-taking" and LA

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Thu Jul 22 18:04:33 UTC 2004

Cynthia W Core wrote:

> Dear Childes members,
>
> A colleague asked me about children’s approach to language learning in
> terms of “risk-taking.” I know I have read something along the lines
> of some children talking more and making more errors and not seeming
> to be bothered by that, while other children talk less, use more
> careful speech and make fewer errors.
>
> Is there research that substantiates this? Or is this just opinion?
> Where can I find references on this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cynthia Core, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> Dept of Communication Sciences and Disorders
>
> 777 Glades Road, PO Box 3091
>
> Florida Atlantic University
>
> Boca Raton, FL 33431
>
> (561) 297-1138
>
> ccore at fau.edu

Hi... Beverly Goldfield and Catherine Snow review a number of these
studies in their chapter on individual differences in our textbook, The
Development of Language (5th ed., Allyn & Bacon, 2001). They cite work
on risk taking or shyness and first language acquisition by D. Horgan
(1981), M. A. Evans (1993), A. L. Ramer (1976), Kuczaj & Maratsos
(1983), as well as work by Lily Wong Fillmore (1979) that seems to show
that shy children are slower at acquiring second languages.
--

Jean Berko Gleason