video clips of child language research

Ann Bunger abunger at northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 26 21:10:12 UTC 2004

I've been using some videos in the child language acquisition class I'm
teaching this
summer, and the students really seem to enjoy them.

The LSA has a video archive that can (usually) be accessed from the
www.lsadc.org
homepage by following the About Linguistics: Videos on the Web link. Some
of those videos
should be relevant. (Right now though, I'm having trouble with the website.)

The Language Acquisition Lab at U Maryland also makes available some
nifty videos of their
research on the acquisition of syntax, which can be found at:
http://www.ling.umd.edu/Graciela/LanguageVideos/
Also I've made a short video about my own research, which is a follow-up
to the Naigles
1990 study on verb learning (Bunger & Lidz, BUCLD 2004) in which we
investigate whether
kids can be driven by the syntactic frame in which it is presented to
interpret a novel verb
as a label for the various different parts of a single causative event.
The video is aimed at a
non-linguistic audience, and I could try to make that available on-line
if anyone is interested
in seeing it.

Ann Bunger

Department of Linguistics