acquisition and morphology

Damir =?ISO-8859-2?B?xg==?=avar dcavar at indiana.edu
Tue Jun 8 23:53:38 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am searching for literature on acquisition of morphology. In particular, I
am interested in possible phases, whether there is some evidence for the
acquisition of inflectional preceding derivational morphology in English or
vice versa, whether there is such a phenomenon observed and documented in
other languages, with other types of suffixes, prefixes, and infixes. Did
somebody identify morphological acquisition phases and does this in any way
correlate with quantitative properties of these morpheme types or any other
property?

I was pointed to Roger Brown's work from 1973. If there is something more
(recent) on that, also quantitative analyses of morpheme distributions in
different languages, and especially something on morphologically rich
languages, I would be grateful for a hint!

Another area of interest is related to the often mentioned correlation
between morphological richness and lack of word order restrictions (and vice
versa). Did somebody work on the relation between these two phenomena in
language acquisition? (That is, presupposing a "late" (compared to lexical
words) acquisition of morphology, is there a correlation between the amount
or type of morphology acquired with the amount or type of word order
variation in the target language? and so on... :-) )

Thanks and best wishes
Damir

--
Damir Cavar