Audiotapes of English dialects

Stefka H. Marinova-Todd stefka at audiospeech.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 18 21:46:55 UTC 2004

Dear Dr. Pearson,

There is also a web-page (http://classweb.gmu.edu/accent/) called Speech
Accent Archive hosted at the George Mason University which contains a
collection of audio-files of various foreign accents of English,
including about 60 samples of English dialects from across the US, as
well as Britain, Australia, New Zealand and other English speaking
countries. In all the samples, the speakers are asked to read the same
paragraph in English, which provides for a good comparison across
accents/dialects.

I hope this is of help.
Best regards,
Stefka Marinova-Todd

Barbara Pearson wrote:
> Dear Infochildes,
>
> I've been asked by a non-linguist who is trying to organize
> a program on language awareness for an audiotape of
> different English dialects.  (She's in the US, but I guess
> if there's one of British dialects, that might be useful,
> too.)
>
> She's already familiar with the video American Tongues,
> which would have been my first response for her.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara

> Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph. D.
> Project Manager, Research Assistant
> Dept. of Communication Disorders
> University of Massachusetts
> Amherst MA 01003
>
> 413.545.5023
> fax: 545.0803
>
> bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
> http://www.umass.edu/aae/
>

> ---

Stefka H. Marinova-Todd, Assistant Professor
School of Audiology and Speech Sciences
University of British Columbia
5804 Fairview Avenue
Vancouver, B.C., CANADA V6T 1Z3