non-native speech discrimination

Professor Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 27 10:34:11 UTC 2004

Is there available on websites for public use a set of non-native
(where English=native) contrasts that we can use with babies of 6 and
10 months?   We recorded Hindi contrasts but we can discriminate them
as non-native adults so our native speaker may have been influenced
by living for years in the UK.  What we would like is to use a set
that have already been confirmed in previous research - this is not
the focus of our research but something we need to have in to confirm
we get the same results as other teams.  We would of course credit
the source.
Many thanks
Annette

Professor A.Karmiloff-Smith, FBA, FMedSci, MAE, C.Psychol.
Head, Neurocognitive Development Unit,
Institute of Child Health,
30 Guilford Street,
London WC1N 1EH, U.K.