Transcription systems; transcription of babbling

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 19:15:57 UTC 2004

Dear Manuel,
    My recommendation is to transcribe in IPA using a Unicode font.  IPA
allows a variety of diacritics.  Hopefully they are enough for you.
Using IPA is particularly easy to do in CLAN on the Macintosh, although
you can also do this on Windows with Tavultesoft Keyman.
There are instructions about how to do this on the CHILDES website.
Yvan Rose and I are also currently working on an analysis program
called PHON that will build on the %pho line in CHAT files to produce
segmental and prosodic analyses of various types.  We plan to make this
all applicable to babbling.  My suggestion is to remain in contact with
Yvan Rose (yrose at mun.ca) regarding this.

--Brian MacWhinney