bound roots

Marc Joanisse marcj at uwo.ca
Fri Nov 12 15:17:48 UTC 2004

Carolyn,
One thought that folks have had about what you describe is this: the
concept of a dichotomy between underived (corner) and derived (baker)
might be artificial, and instead a continuum exists between the two.
Where a word lies on that continuum is determined by how strongly it
overlaps phonologically and semantically with other words. So you could
imagine that at the one end you have transparently derived pairs like
"run-runner", which share a strong semantic and phonological overlap.
At the other extreme are cases that have no semantic overlap, like
"moth-mother". Cases like  "dress-dresser" and "turn-return" are
somewhere in between, with their relatedness determined by the degree
of semantic and phonological overlap.

Here's a nice review:

Seidenberg, M.S. and Gonnerman, L.M. (2000). Explaining derivational
morphology as the convergence of codes.  Trends in Cognitive Sciences,
4 (9)  353-361

-Marc-

--
Marc Joanisse, Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology and Program in Neuroscience
marcj at uwo.ca
http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/psychology/lrcn