bound roots

Laura Gonnerman lag5 at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Nov 15 17:00:31 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

To follow up on the comments of Marc Joanisse & others, I wanted to add that
in a variety of studies that I've carried out with Elaine Andersen, Mark
Seidenberg, and Dave Plaut, we've been able to show that speakers are in
fact sensitive to similarities in meaning and sound patterns between
morphologically related words. In a series of experiments, participants
showed priming effects that were modulated by the degree of overlap between
word pairs, with boldly-bold priming more than lately-late, which primes
more than the semantically dissimilar hardly-hard.

These effects hold for different types of words, e.g., two suffixed words
(saintly-sainthood) or prefixed-stem pairs (preheat-heat) or even words with
no 'morphemes' per se (snarl-sneer).

They also hold when the prime words are masked such that participants are
unaware of the primes.

And in recent imaging work with Joe Devlin, we showed that brain regions
that were active for morphologically complex items overlapped with those
active for semantically or orthographically related items. We found no
evidence for an area dedicated to 'morphology'.

 All that to suggest that speakers are influenced in processing by the
degree of semantic and phonological similarity between words, regardless of
whether they are aware of the morphological relationships between words.

As for the Œmit¹ words, there would certainly be behavioral effects for
permit-
permission type pairs, but likely not for most permit-submit pairs, which
may contain a
morpheme linguists recognize, but are too different in their meanings and
sound patterns to influence normal lexical processing.

For references beyond the one Marc mentioned, see also:

Devlin, J.T., Jamison, H.L., Matthews, P.M., & Gonnerman, L.M. (2004).
Morphology and the internal structure of words. Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences, 101 (41), 14984-14988.

Plaut, D.C. & Gonnerman, L.M. 2000.  Are non-semantic morphological effects
incompatible with a distributed connectionist approach to lexical
processing?  Language and Cognitive Processes, 15, 445-485.

Best,

Laura Gonnerman

*********************************
Laura M. Gonnerman