vocabulary spurt in other languages and other contexts

Ping Li pli at richmond.edu
Thu Oct 14 14:24:45 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

In English there has been a significant number of empirical studies of
'vocabulary spurt' or 'naming explosion'  (from Stern 1924 to Ganger &
Brent 2004), although findings and arguments vary widely on the timing,
shape, and function of this phenomenon.  I wonder to what extent this
research interest is pursued in the study of other languages and in other
contexts.  Specifically, I am asking (1) whether vocabulary spurt has been
similary observed in languages other than English, (2) whether it has been
observed in early bilingualism/multilingualism, in one or the other or all
target languages, and (3) whether vocabulary spurt occurs for children who
show delayed language profiles or specific language impairment (though
perhaps later than the normal course).

I would appreciate pointers and references for these questions. If there
are sufficient interesting responses, I will post a summary next week.

Many thanks.

Ping Li

Ping Li, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Director, Cognitive Science Laboratory
Department of Psychology, University of Richmond
Richmond, VA 23173, USA
Email: pli at richmond.edu
Phone: (804) 289-8125 (O), 287-1236 (lab); Fax: (804) 287-1905
http://www.richmond.edu/~pli/  or  http://cogsci.richmond.edu/