need to find or create nonce-word learning assessment tool for Japanese children

Menn, Lise lise.menn at colorado.edu
Sat Oct 16 19:40:35 UTC 2004

Dear colleagues,
	My co-author Yumiko Tanaka wants to create (or find) a
word-learning-ability assessment tool for use by Japanese
kindergarten teachers, as a way to screen for language disorders in
Japan (it's hard to use most existing tasks that we know about,
because Japanese syntax permits so much optional omission of both
functors and content words in discourse). We would like to get some
references that show good procedures for teaching nonwords and
assessing the children's language learning.  We are of course (!)
familiar with the Gropen and Nelson chapters in the Menn & Bernstein
Ratner book, which are relevant, with Rosemary Myerson's thesis, and
with the classic Carey/Bartlett 'chromium' study, but wondered if
there is something helpful that we are missing?
	thanks, Lise Menn
--
Beware Procrustes bearing Occam's razor.

	Lise Menn				office phone 303-492-1609
	Professor	of Linguistics		home fax     303-413-0017
	University of Colorado			Visiting Professor
		Office: Hellems 293			University of Hunan
		Mailing address:			April-May
	UCB 295
	University of Colorado
	Boulder, CO 80309-0295