L2 influences

Shelley Velleman velleman at comdis.umass.edu
Mon Oct 18 17:32:22 UTC 2004

A question has arisen in a Mass. school system as to whether a
kindergarten teacher whose first language is not English could have a
negative impact on her normally-developing students' English language
development by being a poor role model.  (She occasionally omits
function words, but is quite intelligible.)  Since being bilingual is
clearly not a disadvantage, it seems obvious to me that exposure to a
person with a slightly different system should do no harm to a child's
first language system.  (And, for example, over the past 28 years I've
so far been unable to detect any negative linguistic effects on my
husband, who was raised by such an ESL speaker i.e. his father.)  But,
does anyone know of any literature that would specifically, directly
address this question?

Thanks.

Shelley