load and children's language processing

Theodore Marinis t.marinis at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 11:32:57 UTC 2004

Dear Brian, Julie & Info-CHILDES,

there are some recent studies on sentence processing by children with
typical and atypical language development using a dual task - the
cross-modal picture priming experiment. In this task, children listen to
sentences (task 1) and while they do that, a picture is presented on the
computer screen. Upon seeing the picture, children have to perform a
decision task - for example they have to decide about the animacy of the
picture (task 2).

McKee, Nicol & MacDaniel (1993) used this task to study how children
process sentences involving pronouns and reflexives, Love & Swinney (1997)
used this task to study processing of relative clauses by pre-school
children and recently, we conducted a study to look at the processing of
filler-gap dependencies in relative clauses using a memory span task to
control for differences in memory capacity between the participants
(Roberts, Marinis, Felser & Clahsen, 2004). Finally, last year, together
with H. van der Lely, I conducted the same type of task with SLI children
(Marinis & van der Lely, 2004) to look at how they process wh-questions
on-line. See the references at the end of this e-mail.

The main finding of the above studies is that typically developing
pre-school and school children are slower than adults, but they show
reactivation of the antecedent at the position of the gap. For example in
the sentence 'John saw the peacock to which the small penguin gave the nice
birthday present [gap] in the garden last weekend', a priming effect was
found at the offset of the word 'present'. Interestingly, in our experiment
with typically developing children (Roberts, Marinis, Felser & Clahsen,
2004), we found an interaction with memory span for both children and
adults. Low span children and adults did not show this priming effect!

Children with SLI showed a different pattern. In sentences like 'Who did
Bob give the present to [gap] yesterday evening?', they showed no priming
effect at the gap. Instead, they showed a priming effect at the offset of
the verb 'give'. Importantly, SLI children's memory span did not differ
significantly from the memory span of the control group (that showed a
priming effect at the gap)! So children with SLI showed a different pattern
of processing, but this seems to be unrelated to memory span - at least for
the children we tested. We take that this result shows that SLI children
process sentences with filler-gap dependencies through a lexical-thematic
association between the verb and its arguments and not through a syntactic
dependency between the filler and the gap.

So it seems that both typically developing children and children with SLI
can handle dual tasks, and results can shed light into the way they process
sentences, but also into their underlying grammar.

Btw., the last 2 studies will be presented at the BU conference next week -
on Friday afternoon -, so anyone interested for further details and
discussion is welcome to attend.

With best regards,

--Theo Marinis