Summary of survey

Ping Li pli at richmond.edu
Fri Oct 29 20:31:12 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,
Upon requests from several colleagues, I am posting the results from
the internet survey conducted earlier this week. I have a few simple
notes/disclaimers:  (1) I obtained permission from Brian MacWhinney,
the listserv's maintainer, (2) I obtained IRB chair's exemption, (3)
readers should use their own judgment in interpreting the results,
given the advantages and disadvantages associated with internet survey
(Bordens & Abbot, 2004), and (4) I will make no further comments or
clarifications on this -- we have to wait until Nov. 2 to see if this
has anything to do with the outcome of the election:

369 people from two listservs responded to an internet survey
(http://cogsci.richmond.edu/election.html) within a 24-hour period
(Oct. 25-26, 2004). 336 of the respondents (91%) indicated that they
are likely voters, among which 308 hold a doctoral or master's degree.
The combined statistics from the two listservs for the likely voters
are:

                      Bush              Kerry
                      22 (7%)           314  (93%)

The first listserv (216 likely voters) contained 62% of faculty members
at institutions of higher education or scientists in research
institutions throughout the country, 22% of graduate students, and 16%
of others (including college undergraduate students).  The second
listserv (120 likely voters) contained faculty (87%) and staff (13%)
members from a private university in the south, the greater environment
of which is strongly Republican-based. Separate statistics from the two
listservs are:

Listserv One

                      Bush              Kerry
                      10   (5%)         206 (95%)

Listserv Two

                      Bush              Kerry
                      12    (10%)     108  (90%)

Ping Li, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Director, Cognitive Science Laboratory
Department of Psychology, University of Richmond
Richmond, VA 23173, USA
Email: pli at richmond.edu
Phone: (804) 289-8125 (O), 287-1236 (lab); Fax: (804) 287-1905
http://www.richmond.edu/~pli/  or  http://cogsci.richmond.edu/