Bilingual language acquisition and maintenance

Fred Genesee genesee at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 17 13:48:47 UTC 2005

Natasha: you might want to take a look at a book by Susanne Dopke called "One
Parent One Language" in which she talks about child rearing and interaction
styles in families in Australia that promote maintenance of minority languages
among minority children in in that country. Teh publisher was John Benjamins.

We have a review chapter in which we look at research that examined the use of
minority loanguages (such as Spanish) in minority language families in the
U.S.
and school-age children's acquisition of English and the minority language
during the school years.  Most of the research that looks at SES in this
population in the U.S., aside from the volume that Barbara Pearson referred
to,
examines the relationship between SES and literacy development and academic
achievement in minority language children.

Fred