gender differences at 6-10 months?

Annette Hohenberger hohenberger at cbs.mpg.de
Tue Aug 9 11:14:59 UTC 2005

Dear list members,

I wonder if anybody could point out to me experiments that found gender
differences at 6-10 months concerning the way boys and girls deal with
conflicting information.
     An experiment was pointed out to me where infants had to produce an
effect by pulling a string. If pulled suddenly, the effect was cancelled
- which amounts to a rule change or violation-of-expectation. Whereas
the boys tried again and again, the girls cried and turned to their
mother. Another gender difference was documented concerning habituation
time. Does anybody know of these or similar experiments?
I would appreciate a lot if someone could point out any relevant
information to me.
Thanks a lot and best regards,

-Annette Hohenberger

Dr. Annette Hohenberger
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences
Department of Psychology, Munich
Development of Cognition and Action
Amalienstr. 33
D-80799 Munich