degrees in Rehab Sciences

Joe Stemberger stemberg at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 29 23:47:00 UTC 2005

I'll give my perspective on this question, as a linguist who was in the
Department of Communication Disorders at the University of Minnesota for
11 years (in the SLP section) and who now has close ties with the School
of Audiology & Speech Science at UBC.

For the past decade or more, the field of Speech-Language Pathology has
been underproducing Ph.D.'s. There have been far more new faculty
positions available than there have been newly-minted SLP Ph.D.'s to
fill them. Consequently, many departments have been hiring people from
related fields (including Linguistics, Psychology, and Education) whose
background and research interests are affiliated with speech-language
pathology.

I would expect that a Ph.D. in Rehabilitative Sciences would be
marketable to departments of communication disorders, as long as the
person's training includes language/speech and the research specialty
involves language or speech.

I expect that that will change when/if the field eventually produces
enough Ph.D.'s to meet demand. But there's no sign of that yet.

---Joe Stemberger
Linguistics
UBC