Information about a quote

aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 01:51:27 UTC 2005

Speaking as one who believes in Darwinism, and (more or less) in the
restrictive Hauser, Chomsky, Fitch hypothesis, and thus not in
Uriagareka's exaptation, it seems to me that indeed language improvises
with cannibalised parts, association, projection, range, etc,, but
roughly once in every million years the evolutionary Marketing
Department comes up with a new idea. This gives us the eight or so
language universals, structure dependency, endo-centricity, binding
principles, etc., since the point of human divergence. The interesting
questions, it seems to me, are: in what order of things did the canny
marketing prevail over the crude cannibalism? And: Why?

Aubrey Nunes
PhD, FRSA, MRCSLT
Director Pigeon Post Box, Ltd.,
52, Bonham Road,