new ideas

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Wed Dec 21 00:43:19 UTC 2005

Dear Aubrey,

Right, there is certainly a big emphasis this time of year on
marketing.  That hadn't occurred to me.

I much agree with your line of thinking that foregrounds principles
such as spatial symmetry, embedding, and recursion as precursors to
similar functions in language.  We all perceive the salience of
symmetry in houses and drawings.  But, like Lise, I would argue that
symmetry cannot apply directly to language on the sentential level,
since judgments of symmetry require the copresence of all pieces and
language evolves through a rapidly fading temporal medium.  Lise's
example of saying your phone number backwards was lovely.  There may
be some symmetry effects at the level of the word and syllable,
since those units are perceptually copresent.  There could also be
some symmetry effects on the discourse or rhetorical levels, but
those would be probably backed up by long-term training in rhetorical
form.

In regards to the speed of evolutionary change, my remarks about
glacial change applied not to historical change or creolization, as
in the case of the emergence of Nicaraguan sign language, but to the
emergence of traits in the species.  When I think of language
evolution, I am thinking about that, not about linguistic diachrony.

Having said this, I remain curious what evidence there is for  "truly
new" evolutionary ideas.  Are you suggesting that binding and
structural dependency are evolutionary new ideas?  Let us focus first
on binding, which is a clear phenomenon and which you mention in your
message.  I have become convinced that binding constraints emerge not
from c-command but from pragmatic factors derived from perspective-
switching (see my chapter in Pecher and Zwaan, 2005, "Ground
Cognition).  In this account, the child learns the binding principles
by figuring out the cues to perspective switching.  If we believe
that the binding phenomena arise directly from c-command than that
starts indeed to look like very much like a new evolutionary idea.
But if binding is expressing perspective switching and flow, then it
seems to be more closely pinned to cognitive developments that have
emerged over millions of years in the context of shared social
action.  In that case, this is not a truly new idea, but an old
function expressed by new forms, as Liz, Werner, Mayr, and Darwin
would say.

Structural dependency is another matter.  Children are clearly able
to process structures with linked grammatical relations built up
through recursion. But is recursion itself a new idea or an old idea
with new clothing?  We see the core of recursion in the child's early
learning and processing of item-based patterns.   One can see
precursors of item-based processing in the motor world, but the shift
of item-based slot filling to language does seem rather remarkable.
Is it a truly new idea in evolutionary terms?  As you know, that is
at the core of much recent argumentation and I would say that the
jury is still very much out on that one.  Perhaps some other readers
have ideas about that.

--Brian MacWhinney