Second language acquisition (fwd)

Barbara Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Wed Dec 21 18:51:33 UTC 2005

Dear All,

I have only two small comments to add to the excellent
commentary already provided on this topic.

1. I think a good part of the animus against minority language
programs in the U.S. is directed against programs that delay
the introduction of English till 2nd and 3rd grade.  Even someone
like Rosalie Porter, who spearheaded the English-only
referendum in Massachusetts, will say that two-way programs
(L1 and L2 together) were not the  target of her campaign
(although they, too, got effectively crippled by it--
but that is another question).

With that in mind, I take a different perspective on the
results that have been reported.  I think the research shows
that children learn both languages equally if they are presented
equally. As Ginny Gathercole has pointed out, the poorly developed
Spanish of even the children who had Spanish and English at
school in Miami was not so much a function of the presence of the part-
time English in their school, as of the overwhelming presence
of English in their homes and communities.  Their Spanish was
improved by the time they spent in Spanish in school, and probably
would have improved more with a greater percentage of the day
in Spanish, (the minority language).

I don't know the political situation in the James Bay Coast, but one may
need to compromise with those English-teaching outsiders.  If that
happens, it may be comforting to look at the other side of
the research coin--that learning to read in two languages at once
is not confusing and may even be facilitating.  (You might
get the Oller & Eilers, 2002, on the Miami study for support of that.)
You could end up including a little English from Kindergarten without
completely compromising the program, if you are careful
to safeguard the status of Cree in the children's minds.

I think we've been saying that if English (or any language) is the
majority language, more school time in it does not seem to be
necessary; but if English is the minority language in the children's
lives, more time in English will help it--as long as their L1 is
supported as well.  One needs to evaluate what the balance of
power of the languages is in their community.

2.  The second comment is a reaction/ realization of the power
of literacy in all this.  We are not talking just about waiting until
children are 10, but waiting until they've had time to master reading
and begin writing in the L1. We had a rule of thumb that among our
college students it was rare for someone who had  had
basic literacy training in a language not to prefer to speak
that language when presented with the opportunity (at college).
(I think 2nd grade was my cut-off, but I didn't have enough data to
contrast one grade or another.) By contrast, students who had not had
literacy training in a language (i.e. 98% of most Spanish-background
children born in Miami) generally preferred the other
language, the one in which they had learned to read and had
read extensively.  I used to joke that the speed of light is
that much faster than the speed of sound, but I'm wondering
now if that isn't more than a metaphor, whether there is something
more to the modality (or whether it's just the *added* modality,
not that it's visual).

Meanwhile, I'd like Ginny's references too!

Best,
Barbara Pearson

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph. D.
Project Manager, Research Assistant