Second language acquisition (fwd)

Fred Genesee genesee at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 21 23:02:04 UTC 2005

I might add to all this that I,along with colleagues from thte U.S. (Kathryn
Lindholm-Leary, Bill Saunders, and Donna Christian) did a review of research on
the oral language, literacy and academic development of English language
learners in the U.S., and this will appear in print in January (Cambridge
University Press). The goal of this review was to discern what research has to
say about these domains of development in the case of minority language
learners in the U.S.  IN Chapter 5 of this volume Kathryn reviews research that
evaluated alternative educational programs for English language learners and
compares the results of these programs with one another with respect to, among
other things, literacy. Aside from the interesting finding that initial
literacy instruction in the students' L1 did not hamper them from acquiring
literacy skills in English (and to the contrary sometimes produces better
results that instruction in only English), she also found that programs that
provide consistent, integrated, and high quality instruction across grade
levels, regardless of language of instruction, are more effective than programs
in which there is a lack of such consistency -- not surprising, but a point
that is often lost in the heat of debate about whether to use ELLs' native
language or not.   In Chapter 3, we look at the more psycholinguistic side of
L2 reading acquisition.

IN addition, Diane August and Tim Shanahan chaired a panel of  experts who
carried out an exhaustive review of research on literacy development in K-12
students who are learning to read a second language -- the panel was called the
National Literacy Panel. While the focus was on minority language students in
the U.S., there is also a lot of coverage on L2 literacy development in other
countries and in majority as well as minority language learners. The results of
that review are going to be published by Lawrence Erlbaum sometime in 2006.
This volume is exhaustive in its coverage and should be of interest to
researchers interested in L2 reading acquisition and instruction.

Katie asked if there are other bilingual programs with students' whose L1 is a
majority language locally, but a minority globally. Donna Christian and I
edited a book called Bilingual Education (TESOL, 2001) that includes a number
of case studies of such situations: trilingual programs for Ladin-speaking
students in Northern Italy; bilingual schools in Hungarian and Slovak for
Hungarian students in Slovakia; and Maori immersion porgrams in New Zealand.
It can be tricky defining what is minority -- for example, even in Quebec,
French which is clearly a majority language in the province (80% of Quebecers
are monlingual speakers of FRench), it nevertheless has many hallmarks of a
minority language and needs some of the same kinds of protections of even more
"minority languages".

Two things that seem pretty clear when talking about bilingual education for
minority language learners, almost however minority is defined; one is that
such students acquire the majority language well, especially if the majority
language is of global significance -- like English; and the other is that
quality of curriculum and instruction also matter.

Fred

At 01:51 PM 21/12/2005 -0500, Barbara Pearson wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have only two small comments to add to the excellent
> commentary already provided on this topic.
>
> 1. I think a good part of the animus against minority language
> programs in the U.S. is directed against programs that delay
> the introduction of English till 2nd and 3rd grade.  Even someone
> like Rosalie Porter, who spearheaded the English-only
> referendum in Massachusetts, will say that two-way programs
> (L1 and L2 together) were not the  target of her campaign
> (although they, too, got effectively crippled by it--
> but that is another question).
>
> With that in mind, I take a different perspective on the
> results that have been reported.  I think the research shows
> that children learn both languages equally if they are presented
> equally. As Ginny Gathercole has pointed out, the poorly developed
> Spanish of even the children who had Spanish and English at
> school in Miami was not so much a function of the presence of the part-
> time English in their school, as of the overwhelming presence
> of English in their homes and communities.  Their Spanish was
> improved by the time they spent in Spanish in school, and probably
> would have improved more with a greater percentage of the day
> in Spanish, (the minority language).
>
> I don't know the political situation in the James Bay Coast, but one may
> need to compromise with those English-teaching outsiders.  If that
> happens, it may be comforting to look at the other side of
> the research coin--that learning to read in two languages at once
> is not confusing and may even be facilitating.  (You might
> get the Oller & Eilers, 2002, on the Miami study for support of that.)
> You could end up including a little English from Kindergarten without
> completely compromising the program, if you are careful
> to safeguard the status of Cree in the children's minds.
>
> I think we've been saying that if English (or any language) is the
> majority language, more school time in it does not seem to be
> necessary; but if English is the minority language in the children's
> lives, more time in English will help it--as long as their L1 is
> supported as well.  One needs to evaluate what the balance of
> power of the languages is in their community.
>
> 2.  The second comment is a reaction/ realization of the power
> of literacy in all this.  We are not talking just about waiting until
> children are 10, but waiting until they've had time to master reading
> and begin writing in the L1. We had a rule of thumb that among our
> college students it was rare for someone who had  had
> basic literacy training in a language not to prefer to speak
> that language when presented with the opportunity (at college).
> (I think 2nd grade was my cut-off, but I didn't have enough data to
> contrast one grade or another.) By contrast, students who had not had
> literacy training in a language (i.e. 98% of most Spanish-background
> children born in Miami) generally preferred the other
> [...]

Psychology Department		Phone: 1-514-398-6022
McGill University			Fax: 1-514-398-4896
1205 Docteur Penfield Ave
Montreal QC Canada H3A 1B1