Default unstressed initial syllable? re-

Joe Pater pater at linguist.umass.edu
Mon Jan 10 19:00:52 UTC 2005

Hi Lynn and others,
Smith (1973) reports the same thing for his son Amahl - and the dummy
syllable was also [ri]!

Gnanadesikan's (2004) daughter Gitanjali used [fi] in this position"for
almost a year".

She has some speculation (p. 103, fn. 14) on why this phenomenon is
rarely reported:

"...it might be that a child with nonlinguist parents would experience
such a lack of parental comprehension in the face of a dummy syllable
that she would be highly motivated to switch to almost any other
grammar that she was developmentally ready for. Dummy syllables might
therefore occur in a number of children, but be rapidly suppressed."

Not sure if I buy this though, since lots of other child phonology
makes speech difficult to interpret, and this is probably no more
difficult to interpret than outright truncation. And now that we have
four cases, it's seeming less rare!

Best,
Joe.