bilingualism and third language acquisition

Fred Genesee genesee at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Tue Jan 11 14:15:32 UTC 2005

Jurgen Meisel and his collaegues at the University of Hamburg have been engaged
in a longitudinal study of simultaneous bilinguals learning French and German;
these children are bilingual and not trilingual, but if you are interested in
bilinguals who are learning German as one of the languages, this project is
important. Suzanne Dopke from Australia has also looked at simultaneous
bilingual children learning German (and English) in Australia. Here German was
a foreign language to the community in contrast to the Hamburg study where
German was the societal langauge.

I know of no research on phonological development of trilinguals, but you might
want to contact Jasone Cenoz of the University of the Basque Country. She is
editor of the new International Journal of Multilingualism and might know of
relevant research.

Fred Genesee

At 10:01 PM 10/01/2005 +0100, Franziska Pott wrote:

> Dear Info-Childes,
>

> I am interested in (and conducting a small examination on) bilingualism and
> third language acquisition concerning phonology. I am not really happy with
> the little literature I have found. Does anybody know any literature, authors
> etc. dealing with true bilinguals (bilingual since childhood) learning a
> third (forth&) language (phonology!) as an adult and resulting
> advantages/disadvantages/differences compared to monolingual adult learners
> of a (first/second/&) foreign language?
>

> I am also interested in studies on bilingualism/foreign language acquisition
> involving the Hungarian, Serbokroatian or German language.
>

> It is rather urgent. I am grateful for any tip!
>

> Regards and many thanks
>

> Franziska Pott
>

> Franziska Pott
>
> Johann-Clanze-Str. 29a
>
> 81369 München
>

> 089/74327803
>
> 0177/2484198
>
> franziska.pott at gmx.de

Psychology Department			Phone: 1-514-398-6022
McGill University 				Fax:     1-514-398-4896
1205 Docteur Penfield Ave.
Montreal QC
Canada H3A 1B1