IPA Extensions for Microsoft Word?

Joe Stemberger stemberg at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 20 16:10:41 UTC 2005

Alcock, Katherine wrote:

> However I have found that most journals seem not to be able to see
> these fonts when one sends them articles - on occasion, even pdf files
> seem not to have them at "their end" when I have them at "my end".  If
> anyone knows of a set of IPA fonts, or a way of rendering them, that
> means it is possible to get journal articles back without snitty
> comments from the editor about unreadable symbols, I'd be very happy
> to know it!

I think that that's an inherent problem with any added font that isn't
automatically on every system. I was a guest co-editor for an issue of
Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics a few years ago. Everything went
smoothely until proofs got sent out to the authors, with stars,
sunbursts, halfmoons, and so on in place of phonetic symbols. The
printers had been printing this journal for years, but had apparently
just made some changes to their system that eliminated the SIL IPA fonts
that had been there before. We had to get them to install the fonts and
send out a new set of proofs. With an added font, you can't rely on it
always being there.

That's why the unicode fonts look so promising. We will hopefully
eventually reach a point where every system everywhere has it, and we
won't get back proofs with unreadable symbols in them.

---Joe Stemberger
UBC