CHAT/CLAN discussion

Yahya E-rramdani y.e-rramdani at uvt.nl
Fri Jun 17 13:54:30 UTC 2005

Dear Colleagues,
In preparation of the transcription and the analysis of data of a
research on child language development (3-6 years), focussing
on: lexicon, morpho-syntax and discourse, we have been
discussing the (dis)-advantages of using CHAT/CLAN
programme. I am listing below a number of statements on the
disadvantages of using CHAT/CLAN in data analysis. I would
like from to hear from you whether these statements are true or.

*   We should reconsider whether to make transcripts
    directly in CHAT or first in MS Word (and to export the
    transcript as .rtf to CHAT or to another processor).
    Arguments contra working directly in CHAT: less
    flexibility, more difficulties with exporting to other
    programs.

*   There is discussion and careful consideration needed how
    to do the actual coding. The classical CHAT-approach is
    adding (and filling out) code-lines below each utterance.
    With the analysis program CLAN a number of operations
    are possible, but as far as we know it all boils down to
    counting codes per transcript or computing a ratio. For
    further analysis, over sessions and subjects, a form of
    exportation to SPSS (or EXCEL) is needed, but
    CHAT/CLAN seems to lack direct options for that.
    Exportation will mean entering data (that is, printed
    results from many CLAN-runs) in SPSS by hand.

*   Another disadvantage is that CHAT/CLAN seems to
    have difficulties with dealing with different levels of
    aggregation, that is, provides no explicit and easy ways of
    coding of the ‘multilevel/nested’ structure of the speech
    data. SPSS (or EXCEL) is much more transparent in this
    respect and has procedures for computing aggregate
    scores (and the reverse, for de-aggregating scores).

We welcome all other comments on the use of CHAT/CLAN in
general. Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Yahya E-Rramdani
Tilburg University
Babylon: Centre for Studies of the Multicultural Society
Tilburg University
PB 90153
5000 LE Tilburg
The Netherlands