Do children know what it means to 'talk posh'? as we say in gb english

elaine andersen eanderse at usc.edu
Thu Jun 23 14:49:14 UTC 2005

Hi Aubrey,

In my 1991 book, Speaking with Style: The Sociolinguistic Skills of Children, and in subsequent
papers (some of them cross-linguistic), I report evidence of children showing clear sensitivity to
the correlation between speech style (i.e., register) and power/prestige as early as age 4.

Best,
Elaine
*********************************
Elaine S. Andersen