Amount of time parents spend in conversation with children per week?

Lynn Santelmann santelmannl at pdx.edu
Tue May 24 06:11:48 UTC 2005

Does anyone have figures or references as to a rough amount of time that
parents spend in conversation with preschool and school age children?

I have read numerous places (mostly parenting type publications or web
sites) that "the average American parent spends 38.5 minutes a week with
their child in meaningful conversation". Having read this EXACT same figure
over and over again, I became suspicious and began to search for the
source. If they give a source, it's always "American Family Research
Council. "Parents Fight 'Time Famine'as Economic Pressures Increase." 1990."

I cannot, however, track down the original article (nor can I seem to find
the American Family Research Council, though it may be part of a
conservative political group of some sort).

Does anyone have any reliable references/data on how much parents do
converse with children (leaving aside the "meaningful" issue, which is, at
best, difficult to operationalize)?

I remember the work in differences in communication for different
socioecomonic levels (though I couldn't cite it or find it off hand), and
somewhere I remember seeing a figure comparing Philadelphia (Jewish?)
families with Pennsylvania Dutch families, but can't find the reference.

Exact citations or directions to look in would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn Santelmann, Ph.D.
Associate Professor