music therapy

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Fri Nov 18 18:07:38 UTC 2005

There may be therapies developed  just for children, but some of what is
out there is based on research with adults:  Some time in the 1970s a
music-based treatment called Melodic Intonation Therapy (MIT) was
developed at the VA Medical Center in Boston.  It was used with adult
patients with aphasia, and, as I recall, produced some fairly dramatic
results with patients who had difficulty initiating speech, including
some global aphasics.  But, like everything else, it is limited.  I know
that this therapy has also been extended to kids, and am sure that a
Google search of Melodic Intonation Therapy will turn up a lot of hits.
So this is at least one direction to look....

Jean Berko Gleason