Spanish- or Chinese-"influenced" Enlgish

Pam Norton pcnorton at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 22:27:52 UTC 2005

In the field of speech-language pathology, our standardized language tests (based on "standard" English) make allowances for dialectal variations from SAE such as AAE and give credit for AAE morphology, etc.  Some of these tests include allowances for what they call "Spanish-influenced English" and "Chinese-influenced English," meaning, as I understand it, that their English has distinct morphological and phonological differences from standard English that can be traced back to an overlay of their native language morphology and phonology.

As I'm putting together a questionnaire to survey SLPs in the schools and want to ask what language varieties they've encountered in the district, I'm trying to figure out what these varieties are called?  Are they dialects?  How are they classified within the field of linguistics?

Thanks,

Pam Norton, M.S., CCC-SLP

Joint Doctoral Student in Special Ed

UCBerkeley & SFSU