dialect judgment and language development assessment

Amy Sheldon asheldon at umn.edu
Fri Sep 16 17:40:48 UTC 2005

Dennis Preson's work is what you want.
He describes folklinguistic assessments of dialects.
For example, he has studies of  rather consistent lay responses to the
questions:"where is the most and least correct (or pleasant) English
spoken in the US?".

In addition, I've found a better, more up-to-date video than American
Tongues. I am troubled with the perspective from which African-American
English is treated, in AT.  Jim MacNeil has updated AT with a DVD (or
VHS) called "Do you speak American?". I've only seen parts of it --
it's 180 min. long. There's a section with Preston doing
mini-interviews to show his work on dialect attitudes. Other linguists
are featured too. Visually,  the DVD is beautiful. The underlying
attitude of the producers is better. And the scope of dialect variation
featured and discussed is updated. It's a good training tool.

Amy Sheldon
University of Minnesota