in need of normative information re: intelligibility

Carol Stoel-Gammon csg at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 16 17:42:47 UTC 2005

One reference I have used is:

Coplan, J. & Gleason, J. (1988). Unclear speech: recognition and
significance of unintelligible speech in preschool children. Pediatrics, 82,
447-452.

The authors state that intelligibility (to a stranger) is 50% at age 2
years, 75% at age 3:0 and 100% at age 4;0. I'm sure there is great variation
across children and situations,  but these numbers may be fairly good.

 Carol Stoel-Gammon

Carol Stoel-Gammon, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
University of Washington