in need of normative information re: intelligibility

Caroline Bowen cbowen at ihug.com.au
Tue Sep 20 05:21:38 UTC 2005

Dear Kim,

This is the reference:

Gard, A., Gilman, L., & Gorman, J. (1993). Speech and Language Development
Chart – 2nd Edition, Austin, Tx: Pro-Ed.

I use this: http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_Bowen/Table1.htm
B.L., Lynch, J.I., and Fox, D.R. (1980). A Parent - Child Cleft Palate
Curriculum: Developing Speech and Language. CC Publications, Oregon.  From
the Table on page 102 entitled How well words can be understood.

Peter Flipsen Jr suggests (after Coplan & Gleason, 1998):

Age in years divided by 4 = % understood by strangers. Thus:

age 1 year = 1/4 or 25%
age 2 years = 2/4 or 50%
age 3 years = 3/4 or 75%
age 4 years =4/4 or 100%

Coplan, J, & Gleason, JR (1988). Unclear speech: recognition and
significance of unintelligible speech in preschool children. PEDIATRICS,
82, 447-452.

The Coplan & Gleason (1998) study, that Carol Stoel-Gammon suggested, is
described here:

These may help:

Schiavetti, N. (1992). Scaling procedures for the measurement of speech
intelligibility. In Kent, R. D. (Ed.), Intelligibility in speech
disorders.(pp. 11-34). Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins.

Here is some interesting work in Sheffield about intelligibility as a
clinical outcome measure for children with speech difficulties.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/hcs/staff/wells

Ust a thought - I think we always need to ask "Intelligible to whom?" and
look at single word and conversational speech intelligibility.

Caroline

Caroline Bowen PhD
Speech Language Pathologist
9 Hillcrest Road