dialect in language education

Kerstin Leuckefeld leuckefeld at dji.de
Fri Apr 7 12:01:21 UTC 2006

Dear Info-Childes,

I have a question concerning the role of dialect in language education,
especially with respect to children who acquire e.g. German as a second
language in kindergarten. In many German regions dialects are frequently
spoken, for instance in Swabia or Bavaria. For a child this may mean
that he will first be confronted with the dialect, and later in school
with the standard language.

My question is if kindergarten teachers should try to speak as
"standard" as possible, or if they should be encouraged to speak
dialect, even with children learning German as second language. Does
anyone know of relevant literature that discusses this topic? Or any
other helpful hints?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Kerstin Leuckefeld

--

Kerstin Leuckefeld
Deutsches Jugendinstitut e.V. (http://www.dji.de)