Origins of baby talk / motherese / CDS / caregiver talk

Bruno Estigarribia aananda at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 4 19:10:30 UTC 2006

Points well taken. It still seems to me we are missing something here.
Clearly, "exposure language" or "ambient language" encompasses
adult-to-child speech, peer-to-peer (child or adult) interactions, as
well as, well, TV, etc. But we sometimes want to talk about particular
properties of particular registers, and therefore the terms we've been
discussing ARE useful. "Exposure language" is not a particular,
homogeneous, linguistic register, whereas
motherese/caregiverese/parentese and child/infant-direct speech may well
be specific registers, at least in some communities.
BTW, I trace the important distinction "input" vs. "intake" back to
Corder 1967 "The Significance of Learner's Errors", International Review
of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching, vol 4, p. 165.

Bruno Estigarribia
Ph.D. candidate
Stanford Linguistics