language assessment for 4-year-olds

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Tue Dec 5 02:19:59 UTC 2006

Dear Susan,

You might consider the DELV (Diagnostic Evaluation of Language
Variation) from The Psychological Corporation (now Harcourt
Assessments).  It was developed by Harry Seymour, Tom Roeper, and Jill
de Villiers under an NIH contract and is marketed as two tests: the
DELV Screening Test and DELV Norm Referenced. It was originally
developed to be fair for African American English speakers, but it
works for all English speakers to "assess syntax and a range of other
capacities," as you specify. : )

The norm-referenced version was normed once on 100% African American
children for the NIH contract, but then Harcourt normed it again on a
sample based on the general American population, the 2000 census.  The
Norm Referenced version gives a scaled score for three domains (syntax,
pragmatics, and semantics) and a standardized composite score
encompassing all three.

It takes about 30-45 minutes depending on the age and abilities of the
child.  It is standardized for ages 4 to 9.

I know a couple of groups using it for large studies and could put you
in touch with them if you want.  Its website is
http://harcourtassessment.ca/HAIWEB/Cultures/en-us/dotCom/
DELVInfo.Net+Home.htm
(I got it by googling "Delv Harcourt")

Let me know if I can get you any more information about it.

Good luck,

Barbara