Origins of baby talk / motherese / CDS / caregiver talk

edy veneziano edy.veneziano at paris5.sorbonne.fr
Tue Dec 5 13:22:39 UTC 2006

Thank you all for this discussion

In connection with the last exchanges,  CDS (including child-directed
Sign !) seems to me a good compromise (when exactly this entered the
literature I wouldn't know...).
It have been using CDS in as  plain and simple a way as possible : to
refer to the talk that a partner addresses, uses to respond, to
converse, etc with children learning a language.
This should provide us  a picture of the kind of speech and of
discourse children are involved with (the speech they respond to, the
speech they expect to follow their own speech, etc...), with no a
priori connotations.
This should still leave  room to determine :
1. if and when CDS has specificities, and of which kind (for example,
in which period, relatively to the learning child, it can be considered
a register ... )
2. the effect that CDS and the kinds of interactions that go with it,
might have on certain aspects of children's language
3. what other kinds of speech children hear or overhear  from other
sources or in non interactive contexts (and some methods can be used to
glimpse at that)

Edy Veneziano